Whilst English apples are still available, this is a great dish to serve alongside a fillet of white fish and a green salad, for a healthy Winter dinner. Our Bramley apples are currently from Kent and are sold at £1.99 per kilo.
- 500g local white potatoes
- 1 head of kohl rabi
- 500ml Laceys single cream
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 bramley apple
- A handful of fresh breadcrumbs
- 25g cheese, grated
- A handful of chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/gas mark 6. Peel the potatoes and kohlrabi, discarding the shoots, and cut into 5mm-thick slices. Add to a pan of boiling, salted water. Cook until they just give when you insert the tip of a knife – you want them to keep their shape. Drain.
- Put the cream and garlic into a heavy-based saucepan and season. Bring to the boil, then take off the heat. Peel the apple and grate into the cream. Add the potato and kohlrabi.
- Butter four dishes (or one large dish) and spoon in the mixture, sprinkle with breadcrumbs and cheese. Bake for 20 minutes, until golden brown. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve.
This recipe has been taken from The Guardian, but adapted for Peterley.